Here's one for Jeff...

Go down

Here's one for Jeff...

Post  TimKustom on Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:47 am

There is a "unique" Starfire on Ebay right now. It is a 27ft model that is described being built for a school for doing "science experiments." It has an opening driver's side door but glassed over passenger side door. Bus doors directly behind where the pass side door would be. Barn doors on the rear.

It is described as a 1990 Starfire II model. Has the angular dash in it. The oddest thing about it to me is a "Belladona" plate on the glove box.

Any chance you remember anything about this rig? Maybe one of the last ones made? The VIN is quite different from other Starfires I've found.
TimKustom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

I have the answer to this one

Post  ElDorado Jeff on Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:24 pm

The one on ebay, was a shell that was sent to ElDorado Bus (Thor Industries purchased from EMC in 1988) to get a conversion for a bus/limo (thus the Starfire 2 labeling). Following that the bus/motor home shell was sent somewhere else for the conversion that it is in now. I do not believe EMC/ Eldorado did any of the interior work as it is shown.

TimKustom wrote:There is a "unique" Starfire on Ebay right now. It is a 27ft model that is described being built for a school for doing "science experiments." It has an opening driver's side door but glassed over passenger side door. Bus doors directly behind where the pass side door would be. Barn doors on the rear.

It is described as a 1990 Starfire II model. Has the angular dash in it. The oddest thing about it to me is a "Belladona" plate on the glove box.

Any chance you remember anything about this rig? Maybe one of the last ones made? The VIN is quite different from other Starfires I've found.

Admin

View user profile http://www.beavercreekboise.com/Eldorado%20Pages/el_dorado_motor

Back to top Go down

Re: Here's one for Jeff...

Post  TimKustom on Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:54 pm

ElDorado Jeff wrote:The one on ebay, was a shell that was sent to ElDorado Bus (Thor Industries purchased from EMC in 1988) to get a conversion for a bus/limo (thus the Starfire 2 labeling). Following that the bus/motor home shell was sent somewhere else for the conversion that it is in now. I do not believe EMC/ Eldorado did any of the interior work as it is shown.

Thanks for the reply Jeff.

So would this shell count toward to the 62 27ft models produced? Really wish there were some way to document them. I guess all the Starfire II's made during the Thor Industries years?
TimKustom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

This is kind of tricky

Post  ElDorado Jeff on Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:31 am

TimKustom wrote:
ElDorado Jeff wrote:The one on ebay, was a shell that was sent to ElDorado Bus (Thor Industries purchased from EMC in 1988) to get a conversion for a bus/limo (thus the Starfire 2 labeling). Following that the bus/motor home shell was sent somewhere else for the conversion that it is in now. I do not believe EMC/ Eldorado did any of the interior work as it is shown.

Thanks for the reply Jeff.

So would this shell count toward to the 62 27ft models produced? Really wish there were some way to document them. I guess all the Starfire II's made during the Thor Industries years?

Anything that says Starfire 2 on them, were built after the bankruptcy of EMC either in the initial re-organization or post bankruptcy. However Honorbuilt Industries bought the assests of EMC, which included some of those bodies. Honorbuilt Industries in its early years mounted a few of the bodies on the chassis and then either sold the body and chassis to ElDorado Bus (Thor Industries in Salina, KS) or had them convert it sell them themselves. I don't have records of how many Starfire 2 were actually made, however Honorbuilt Industries did sell a few of the bodies to outside convertors not on the chassis as I don't know what that number is exactly. I believe that there were around 13 or 14 Starfire bodies (not sure exactly) when EMC disolved in bankruptcy, and I know 2 or 3 went to someone in Chicago in I believe 1993 or 1994. Just prior to when Honorbuilt Industries selling to SMC, then there were still 2 bodies left on the ground, in Minneapolis, KS that were purchased from the bankruptcy by and in the possession of someone that used to work for the company, but where those are today I have no idea. The body molds were also in the possession of that person also, but I believe they have since been destroyed. That is about all I can remember at this point, but I have no idea where any records of this are.

Admin

View user profile http://www.beavercreekboise.com/Eldorado%20Pages/el_dorado_motor

Back to top Go down

Again great info.

Post  TimKustom on Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:54 am

ElDorado Jeff wrote: Just prior to when Honorbuilt Industries selling to SMC, then there were still 2 bodies left on the ground, in Minneapolis, KS that were purchased from the bankruptcy by and in the possession of someone that used to work for the company, but where those are today I have no idea. The body molds were also in the possession of that person also, but I believe they have since been destroyed. That is about all I can remember at this point, but I have no idea where any records of this are.

This info backs up a phone call I had with a guy that has an EMC Encore. He said he was good friends with one of the designers of the Starfire. I think he said he was German or something. This designer had the molds and they were in storage in Atlanta. That pretty much blew my mind and then I mentioned I'd like to speak with him, possibly meet him in person. The guy said he passed away a short time ago but went on to say that the molds were passed on to him. This was in the last year and half or so.

I don't think the molds would have any real value (probably take up a lot of space). If I were to remold a Starfire, I'd try to make it out of carbon fiber... Very Happy
TimKustom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Here's one for Jeff...

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down