ElDorado Motor Homes
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Here

2 posters

Go down

New Here Empty New Here

Post  daniel Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:22 pm

I just fond and 1985 Eldorado Starfire its ruff on the out side inside is dirtey but think it can be clean up
Some side moleding are missing on the out side
it has 88000 miles it 460 ford 3axle think it 31 foot (not sure)
Just need a place for parts or wreakin yard has few of them
Also did these have front doors that worked?
daniel
daniel

Back to top Go down

New Here Empty Re: New Here

Post  TimKustom Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:07 pm

Welcome to the group!

Good luck on finding the side mouldings. It has been discussed here before. I've seen some with them removed and it didn't look to bad. Another possibility is making your own.

Yes some of the later models had opening doors. Don't know what it would take to get them to open. Don't think I'd like to try to make them open either.

HTH
TimKustom
TimKustom

Back to top Go down

New Here Empty new here

Post  daniel Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:35 pm

I need the one gose betewwn the two rear wheels only
daniel
daniel

Back to top Go down

Post  TimKustom Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:25 pm

daniel wrote:I need the one gose betewwn the two rear wheels only

If that's the only one you need, my suggestion would be to make a mold of the side you have and cast you another one.

Pretty much how they made them from the factory. Mine appear to be slush cast fiberglass resin (about 1/4" thick) with wood placed in the resin near the end of the casting process. The piece that's behind the side door that goes to the wheelwell has fallen off mine (luckily while sitting in the yard). That piece weighs about 8 lbs!

Take a thick pie pan that will hold your piece well. Fill that up with plaster. Take the part, coat with PAM cooking spray. Insert part into plaster before it "sets." After plaster is hard, start coating it with fiberglass resin. Thin coats. Let dry repeat. It will take several (dozens?) applications of the resin to get a good thickness. Once the thickness is complete, pop it out of the plaster.

Paint and attach to rig.

Research fiberglass casting methods to be sure the above is correct. Ed "Big Daddy" Roth made all his cars this way 50 years ago...
TimKustom
TimKustom

Back to top Go down

New Here Empty new here

Post  daniel Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:25 am

Thanks I try that
what time u think I should replace the time chain on that 460 ford (88000 miles on it now)
what other thing should I look at too
?
daniel
daniel

Back to top Go down

Post  TimKustom Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:58 pm

daniel wrote:Thanks I try that
what time u think I should replace the time chain on that 460 ford (88000 miles on it now)
what other thing should I look at too
?

The timing chain should be good to 100k, but that depends on how well it was maintained and if it was abused.

Other things to look for? Without inspecting the rig in person, couldn't really tell you. Typical Starfire issues have been discussed here.

If you read the posts on this board and the other board as well as many of the other vintage motorhome sites, you can see what you could be in for.

If you can do the work yourself, it will be quite satisfying and you won't spend too much money. If you have to have somebody else do it for you, hope you have deep pockets...
TimKustom
TimKustom

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum