Shifter cable bad on Eldorodo Encore motor home

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Shifter cable bad on Eldorodo Encore motor home

Post  David L on Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:46 pm

My son and I share the problems of a 1988 Eldorado Motor Home, Encore model. While fixing an exhaust manifold leak on the driver's side of the engine we noticed that the shifter cable end hooked to the transmission is very rusty, the cable wires exposed and really in bad shape --looks like it could break off any second. (Probably the reason for difficulty shifting.)
--any suggestions on where to find a replacement shifter cable?
--any tricks to getting the old one out and new one back in?

Also, we aren't sure the exhaust manifold repair will hold. One bolt hole is broken out in the head. It had been previously welded under prior ownership, but the weld broke loose. We have put it back together by JB Welding a stud onto the head, but aren't sure that the JB Weld can stand the heat, especially if there is any exhaust leak in the future.
...any guesses on whether the JB Weld can take the heat?

Probably the right repair would be a new head...but that will be a lot of work and expense, but we don't want to kill anyone with carbon monoxide gas either, so may have to go there. Help!

Thanks for your web site. I was surprised to see that it is based out of Boise, Idaho where I was born and raised. We moved to Washington to be living in an environment much like visiting the lake at McCall, Idaho.

PS --is there a spell checker on this input screen?

David L

David L

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Shifter cable bad on Eldorodo Encore motor home

Post  ElDorado Jeff on Mon May 19, 2008 9:41 pm

David L wrote:My son and I share the problems of a 1988 Eldorado Motor Home, Encore model. While fixing an exhaust manifold leak on the driver's side of the engine we noticed that the shifter cable end hooked to the transmission is very rusty, the cable wires exposed and really in bad shape --looks like it could break off any second. (Probably the reason for difficulty shifting.)
--any suggestions on where to find a replacement shifter cable?
--any tricks to getting the old one out and new one back in?

Also, we aren't sure the exhaust manifold repair will hold. One bolt hole is broken out in the head. It had been previously welded under prior ownership, but the weld broke loose. We have put it back together by JB Welding a stud onto the head, but aren't sure that the JB Weld can stand the heat, especially if there is any exhaust leak in the future.
...any guesses on whether the JB Weld can take the heat?

Probably the right repair would be a new head...but that will be a lot of work and expense, but we don't want to kill anyone with carbon monoxide gas either, so may have to go there. Help!

Thanks for your web site. I was surprised to see that it is based out of Boise, Idaho where I was born and raised. We moved to Washington to be living in an environment much like visiting the lake at McCall, Idaho.

PS --is there a spell checker on this input screen?

David L

First off, I'm sure this is Chevy Chassis, and yes the exhaust lines and all of the underside stuff is close, we did not modify the chassis stuff under the coach except for the addition of a couple of heat shield around the propane tank and holding tanks. The Chevy Chassis is for the most part centered within the frame and the linkage is quite close. The best option would be replacing the head, or try to tap the bolt out and install a new one. Replacement shifter cable is going to be hard to find, however again if it is Chevy chassis, this is a P30 rail chassis, and a chevy truck store should have a replacement cable. The Chassis has been manufactured for many years, and there was not much change in the late 1980's.

For being in Boise, I moved here in 1998, but I am from Kansas where ElDorado was manufactured. I will be relocating back to the midwest sometime this summer due to family reasons, but will continue to maintain the web site. I will continue over time to update the site as I can. It seems as though there is still interest in the ElDorado products. Some of the Chassis information I just don't have, and the coach diagrams and electrical layout I still have in my head, so if there are questions related to the coach part I will be happy to answer them.

Sorry, no spell checker, this is a free forum format I found, didn't have time to develop on my own.

Thanks

Jeff

Admin

View user profile http://www.beavercreekboise.com/Eldorado%20Pages/el_dorado_motor

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top