ElDorado Motor Homes
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

EMC 1987 Starfire

2 posters

Go down

EMC 1987 Starfire Empty EMC 1987 Starfire

Post  rlebarron@aol.com Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:54 pm

Dear ElDorado Forum: I am looking into purchasing a 1987 Starfire from a current eBay lisitng of around $5700. I spoke with the owner. He has only owned it since Jan 2010, but never had a chance to use it, his health has failed. Was bought on eBay had it driven from California to his home in Utah. He did have a fuel leak fixed and had the carb professionally rebuilt. It passed UT State safety and emissions test and is licensed now in UT.

I am not worried about the motor home's cabin equipment, though he says they do operate. My main concern will be the Ford 460 engine, large block, under 40,000 miles and the vehicle's power train. He said the driver who drove it the 750 miles from CA said it performed just fine.

My question. Anyone in the EMC membership have any major engine/power train issues?

I may be able to see it, before the listing ends. Anything unusual I should look for which may be a major issue for the 1987 Starfire?

It is being sold, as is where it is and is almost 24 years old.

Thanks, Russ

rlebarron@aol.com

Back to top Go down

EMC 1987 Starfire Empty Re: EMC 1987 Starfire

Post  TimKustom Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:23 am

I'm fairly familiar with that rig. I've not seen it personally, but did talk with the previous owner (a dealer) about it. I have a personal "registry" of Starfires and try to collect as much information about any remaining rigs.

As far as your specific questions about the drivetrain. The 460 is pretty much bulletproof. Carb leaking is very common and a few have been consumed by fire due to it. This is something to keep close tabs on. Something I've found out on mine, is due to how EMC mounted the radiator, it must be removed to change the alternator. This will be corrected on my rig.

Speaking of radiator and cooling, due to the design of the front of the rig, cooling can be an issue. Consider upgrading the radiator and adding an extra fan.

The transmission is a 3 speed C6. It is probably the best transmission Ford ever made and was standard equipment on any hi-performance '60's to early '70 Ford with an auto transmission.

The rear axle is a Dana 60, again bulletproof.

Some things to consider about the body itself. The marker lights on the roof need to be checked. If original (they appear to be in the pics I have of it), they need to be changed immediately. Water can get into the area between the inner and outer skin, then it travels to the subfloor where it rots it from the inside out. The side steps also appear to be "typical Starfire" and will hold weight but is rotted and will be need to be replaced at some time.

Besides those things this appears to be the one of the better 27ft Starfire I've come across (only 14 others I know of).

I would make sure ALL the systems work as they should. I would also personally inspect it if you have never been around a Starfire before to make sure it fits your needs.
TimKustom
TimKustom

Back to top Go down