ElDorado Motor Homes
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

stumped on electrical

2 posters

Go down

stumped on electrical Empty stumped on electrical

Post  TCJester Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:54 pm

hi guys..
ok on my unit..el dorado class A < see pic> when hooked up to shoreline power...all electrical works all appliances< microwave, reefer>.... and all wall outlets plus rear a/c unit works ... Front unit doesn't work at all not an issue right now or could it be?? anyway... When i have my generator running i get power to rear a/c unit and no power to the wall outlets.. main switch is on and on my unit there is red lighted switch next to stove indicating power is there...next to that red lighted switch are 2 other switches one for water and the other not labeled < worn off> i haven't had the chance to purchase the manuals on rv electrical.... .but i do not understand why when the generator is running it is supplying 110 to ac unit why are not the outlets working or the microwave or reefer??..am i missing a switch...or does it sound like Mice troubles and i need to dig?? if ya can help cool ty

OH ya...i am working on this unit when temps are above 30 degrees outside... I live in NH...

Steve
TCJester
TCJester

Back to top Go down

stumped on electrical Empty Re: stumped on electrical

Post  TCJester Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:28 pm

ok i did some investigating and stopped by a RV shop.... what i found out is that the genset i have has dc brushes and ac brushes...with my discussion with the tech...we narrowed it down to possible frozen brushes or bad breakers ...because of lack of use..the brushes possibly corroded up on the ac side of the genset and only one leg was working.. i swapped power wires on the breakers and the problem remained the same.. the same leg was not charging ..i have to take the bell strap off and remove the brush holders to free up the sticking brush..but before i do ... i have to measure the heights of the brushes to make sure they are all within spec..i also have to probably clean up the armature to make sure the copper windings are clean...

the newer model generators only have one set of brushes with an converter built in to change it from dc to ac.. just wanted to share that information...some of you might have known this but i didnt know that older generators 1980's vintage had ac & dc brushes...
TCJester
TCJester

Back to top Go down

stumped on electrical Empty Only one A/C working.

Post  Jimmy Travano Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:22 pm

This is an awful delayed answer attempt, but I just found this site this week. My Eldorado, which looks just like yours, has two switches, look like household light switches, under one of the dineette seats for A/C ooperation. Only one A/C will work when plugged into a 30amp source. If both switches are in proper position, both A/C's are designed to work, but only on generator power. Don't know if that's any help in your case. Hope that your inactive 110V outlet problem is solved, cant figure that one out. All should work when switching from shore power to generator, and vice-versa. Have you since checked breakers on side of generator? Just a thought.

Hope you get this response. Seems like very few people are using this WEB site. Most messages are from over one year ago. Guess there's not too many people with these old Eldorados, or very few of them don't know that this site exists. I hit on it accidentally by typing in "1988 Eldorado MotorHome info" on the Google search bar. Took me 3 days to figure out how to get back to this site. Didn't notice what the address was after I got on, and forgot it after I got off. Hope to hear from you. E-mail will be fine. <vanmanjim66@yahoo.com> Peace!

Jimmy Travano

Back to top Go down

Post  TCJester Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:21 pm

Thanks for your reply...it not to late seeing snow is slowly melting and i can see my unit again...i will check for those switches to see if i have them...in the mean time i did a little more trouble shooting......i checked the brushes and breakers on the generator..the brushes were free and within spec...when i switched the wires at the breakers on the gen seeing if the power moved with the switching of the wires... one a/c unit that always worked running off the generator continued to work.. so reset buttons on generator are functioning... i switched the power wires coming off generator ..once again the a/c that worked still functioned...it is seems the issue is further down the line heading towards the breaker panel..I need to crawl under the unit and look for mouse chewed wires...but i plan on opening up the breaker panel and check to see if i am getting power to the breaker panel b4 i crawl underneath...i dispise electrical problems hahahaha....once i figure out the generator i then need to look for electrical issues on the swithes that control aux tanks, wipers etc on the dashboard..

i will update ya once i find the problem...i have the EMC Presidential motorhome model. the biggest unit i believe they made at the time with many options i need to figure out...

nice meeting you by the way and thanks for the suggestions

Steve
TCJester
TCJester

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down