ElDorado Motor Homes
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Considering buying a 31ft 1987 EMC Starfire

2 posters

Go down

Considering buying a 31ft 1987 EMC Starfire Empty Considering buying a 31ft 1987 EMC Starfire

Post  jgodding Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:39 am

The coach I am considering seems to be overpriced based on the NADA guide. The asking price is $9,500 and the NADA price is only $5,500. The coach has some previous owner "hacks" such as a replacement front couch, plywood mounted heater controls without the center a/c vent and an aftermarket steering wheel so the cruise control is mounted on the turn signal.
Does anyone have an opinion about whether the NADA price guide is way off or the sellers are way off?
Thanks,
Jerry

jgodding

Back to top Go down

Considering buying a 31ft 1987 EMC Starfire Empty Don't know about the NADA...

Post  TimKustom Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:38 pm

I've found that NADA doesn't really take into consider "supply and demand."

For instance, NADA lists my mint, two owner 30k mile Lincoln Mark VIII for $4500 for high retail. They typically go much higher since there is a "demand" for them in mint condition.

The Starfire is such a rare vehicle, it really comes down to how bad the seller wants it gone or how bad the buyer needs it.

I've documented nearly 60 Starfires and all of them have some form of "hacks" on them. What you mention doesn't seem too bad to me.

The plywood in the heater controls is because the plastic they used most likely disintegrated from age. Mine is very brittle/cracked and will be replaced (not with plywood though). The couch was most likely added due to the fact that the swivel seats in front of the table/console are pretty much useless unless your 4ft tall.

BTW, is this the rig listed online in Saint-Lazare, Quebec, Canada?

HTH,
TK
TimKustom
TimKustom

Back to top Go down

Considering buying a 31ft 1987 EMC Starfire Empty 1987 Starfire Couch

Post  jgodding Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:14 am

Thanks for the reality check on the NADA. I suspected the NADA was probably useless. I really didn't specifically look for a Starfire, I have been looking for an inexpensive motor home and it just came up on Craigslist in Tampa plus the owner said he would be willing to finance a good portion of the price. Since I started looking at Starfire specifics, thanks to your site, I have learned a great deal about them. Anyway, the owner can't show it to me until next week. His ad indicates that he did a lot of mechanical work (brakes, steering, tires, etc.) and the pictures look like the exterior (gold color) is in great shape. The single beds look really small though so I was wondering if they pull out or the back rest cushions get stowed to make room. I will figure it out when I go look at it. Thanks for the post. Jerry

jgodding

Back to top Go down

Considering buying a 31ft 1987 EMC Starfire Empty Re: Considering buying a 31ft 1987 EMC Starfire

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down